Monday, January 12, 2009

Benchmarks...

Happy New Year!

I've certainly had no problem feeling motivated to keep cycling to work after the Christmas and New Year break.

I came in by bike on Tuesday and Thursday of last week (the first week back).

I did have a small concern on the ride home on the Tuesday. I felt a twinge in my right knee. I got a bit worried about that, because I've never had that kind of problem before. That's why I missed Wednesday, but I couldn't contain my enthusiasm anymore than that, so I rode in on Thursday. The twinge re-occurred on both journeys to and from work.

But I did set a benchmark time for the homeward journey with an average speed of 20.8km/h. So quite pleased with that!

I had brief thoughts of a knee reconstruction - but more rationally I figured it was just a case of the strength of my body catching up with my enthusiasm. So I rested over the weekend.

I came in this morning and set another benchmark - 22.7km/h for the journey to work. And no twinges. So hopefully that's a good sign. Balancing the exercise with rest should enable me to improve my strength and fitness without incurring any injuries (touch wood).

No comments: