Thursday, February 24, 2005

Training Week 1

Well there's 171 days to go until City to Surf - which seems a lot, but bearing in mind I'm starting from a very low level of fitness and my goal time is quite a challenge, I don't want to get complacent.

I did a bit of research on various running websites to at least base my training intentions on (hopefully) an experts opinion.

I took the "From the Couch to 5k" option for a start, which is a nine week programme targeting running 5km in 30 minutes. It starts with 20 minutes jog/walks, 3 times a week, reminding me to warm up and cool down / stretch properly - something that I rarely have done - I usually start off at 110%, keep going as long as I can, then collapse at the end. Well that's all good for a 20 year old but not for a (almost) 38 year old!

One major reason why I hadn't done much exercise recently was that I thought training in the evening was a bit selfish bearing in mind I'd been at work all day and Shirley and Lian needed a bit of attention. I do get away with a Wednesday night squash session with another 1991 City to Surf veteran (no not Steve Moneghetti - Simon Perry). But that was that, I didn't get any further... Until two unrelated events prompted me to re-think my strategy.

First, we had some visitors (Chris & Mandy) who I've known since pre Hong Kong days (1992-1995) - a period where I, with the support of Chris, Mandy and Simon, used to exercise regularly. Cycling, running and a fair bit of gym work. They reminded me that we finished the Portsmouth Half Marathon in something like 1h40m - unbelievable I know, but it's surprising how much Carbo loading you get from Heineken Export Tops!

Then another Chris (Tidy) from Singapore mentioned he was training for a half triathlon. Me and Tidy regularly used to concoct plans to give ourselves some incentive to exercise, but to no avail. We usually ended up down the boozer! So for him to set this goal himself is some feat!

So I got thinking of how to get back into training. There was only one option - dragging my arse out of bed in the morning to go for a run! Now I am not a morning person - and I usually curse the alarm for waking me. But come on, 9 hours is too much sleep anyway - and think of the goals - sub 75 minute City to Surf and running round the park on my 40th birthday with Lian.

And on that basis, I've so far stuck to the strategy.

I'd made sure I'd ironed all my work shirts for the week, set out my running gear and set my alarm for a 6.45am start on Monday (45 minutes earlier than usual) and waited to drift off to sleep. But the anticipation of that first run and the anxiety to make sure I did get up in time - delayed and disrupted my usual slumber.

At 6.30am, I was wide awake and ready. I lay there for a while thinking of the route I'd take and by the time the alarm went off - I was coiled ready to spring to switch it off and bound out of bed. Well it was more like a slide out of bed - I generally feel pretty stiff (ooh-err) and I didn't want to wake Shirley.

And that was that, into the first session. A 5 minute brisk walk to warm up, then 25 minutes of jog/walk round the streets close to home. It's surprising how hilly it is around our way, so I was certainly glad of the slow start and the walking bits.

The plan was to miss Tuesday but go Wednesday and Friday. But I was so pleased with the initial effort and I knew I didn't have a squash game this week - so I did the same thing Tuesday.

I missed Wednesday - don't want to overdo it, the joints have to get used to the pounding. But I did go this morning again (Thursday). I'd mapped out a 5km circuit which is fairly flat with one steep down hill. I thought it would be good to test myself and have something to compare to in coming weeks. It did take 35 minutes of jog/walks, but that's OK. I don't expect to break any records. I just want to get into the habit without injuring myself or losing the motivation.

I intend to do another 25-30 minutes tomorrow morning then have the weekend off.

So far so good.

No comments: