Thursday, February 24, 2005

Why?

Welcome to the Blog of Parkesy.

I've set this up, as a motivation to achieve a little goal I've set myself. No, nothing too outlandish (I don't think) - just to run the City-to-Surf on Sunday 14th August 2005.

I reckon that if I publish my intentions, then I'm more likely to follow them through - for fear of abuse from my so-called friends. Also, it'll be my diary of how the training is going.

For those that don't know, the City-to-Surf is a mass fun-run from the City of Sydney to Bondi beach. This year is the 35th anniversary and there are more than 50,000 participants expected. It's 14km; from Hyde Park, through Kings Cross, along Sydney Harbour's southern bays, up "Heartbreak Hill" (at 6-8 km) over South Head, then down to Bondi Beach for the finish.

The record is held by Steve Moneghetti of 40.03 in 1991. I did it in the same year at a little more sedate pace, just under double that record time.

My target this year is sub 75 mins which is based on a 4 hour marathon time. Perhaps if this goal is achieved, then I'll continue this blog using the Sydney (half?) Marathon as a goal.

I suppose one reason for setting this goal is my fast approaching 40th birthday (steady on - it's not until 2007). I'd like to stay fit enough to run around the park with our (you know my wife Shirley?) daughter, Lian.

I may add a few other items of news regarding Shirley, Lian, home-life and whatever I think may be of interest (I'm conscious that if these "Blogs" aren't interesting then not even my closest friends will bother checking back for updates).

So that'll do for a start. I got to get some work done. My next post (maybe later today) will summarise this weeks training.


(Hope to) See Ya!

No comments: