Monday, May 14, 2007

8.24km Easy...

I thought the running gods were trying to give me a message yesterday.

I felt absolutely knackered for most of the day, so I put off the run until late in the afternoon. I was supposed to be out for 1:20 but I really couldn't see me achieving that, so I cut my losses and aimed for about 45 minutes.

So down to the river and back for what I now know was 8.24km in 47:58 at 5:49/km pace. And that's only thanks to www.mapmyrun.com, because my Imaginary Friend appears to be experiencing it's mid life crisis!

First, I couldn't turn it on. I was sure the battery had 3 or 4 hours left in it last time I used it. Anyway, I stuck it on charge and managed to get enough juice in to turn it on and last the run.

Then, when I started recording, I noticed that the time and pace were being displayed but distance wasn't increasing. I carried on regardless.

When I got home and plugged it into the computer to load up the route, the PC wouldn't recognise the device. I've experienced this before and that time I solved it by changing COM ports. All I could do was switch it back to the original port and try again. No luck! I tried rebooting everything, but still no success. I tried it on my laptop at work this morning - with some small success... the device was recognised, the session information was transferred to the laptop, but there was a problem sending it to Motionbased - I guess that's due to a Firewall. I tried the transfer again to see if the device was still recognised and now that fails too.

I did actually drop the device last week, but there didn't seem to be any damage to the case, so I didn't think anything of it. But perhaps there's some component inside that's busted. Bugger!

I don't know anyone else with a Forerunner that I could try and I'm not quite geeky enough to be able to test the serial cable or port... so, what to do?

Hopefully that doesn't disrupt my plans for the Half Marathon next week.

No comments: