Monday, August 10, 2009

City to Surf 2009 Review

Wow! My offical time of 1:17:01 was a pleasant surprise.

My target of 90 minutes was smashed (and clearly very conservative).

There are a few factors worth noting that I think contributed to the success:
  • Starting from the Green group enabled me to get up to pace (but not too quick) straight away.
  • Carrying a water bottle the whole way meant that I didn't get held up at drink stations.
  • Being more aware of where the uphills and downhills are so that I could be prepared to adjust pace accordingly.

But one thing I think I have to work on if I'm going to do this again is to adjust my posture. I always suffer with a sore neck after any run longer than about 40 minutes, which generally turns into a bad headache later in the day. So perhaps some problem with my head leaning forward too much...?

So based on that - perhaps next year I should have a crack at my all time record of 1:11:48 set in 1991. I just need to train properly with some solid hill work.

For the moment, I'm just waiting for the weather to get a bit warmer in the mornings so that I can get back on the bike.

No comments: