Friday, June 03, 2005

A Week to Forget...

With only a run on Tuesday and this morning for this week - I should hang my head in shame.

Even this morning's run was a huge effort to get out of bed, so I am at least pleased I got around.

I really hope that the opening for entries to the City to Surf on Sunday will give me the boost I clearly need, although I suspect a sudden increase in temperature would have a more significant effect.

There is one piece of positive news from this week - last night I became an Australian Citizen. Despite a comment made in a speech given by some old bat representing the state government, I haven't had to "give up my identity", in fact the Australian Government actively encourage people like me to hold dual citizenship. I guess they recognise that the biggest reason for people not to do it is the resistance to break any historical ties.

The pros and cons for me were: Pros = don't have to keep reapplying for Permanent Residency every 5 years; and a stronger link to the country where we expect to live. Cons = I now have a legal obligation to vote, i.e. it's mandatory here! I will still support England in cricket and football is still played with round shaped balls.

So, like Lian - I am now a Citizen of the United Kingdom and of the Commonwealth of Australia.

No comments: