Tuesday, May 17, 2005

89 days to go...

Another dose of glucose before the 5km run this morning.

I don't know whether it's making any difference or whether it's psychological. I am feeling stronger these last few days. No improvement in time though.

Actually, this morning I felt like crap as I got out of bed. I think I may have a bit of a cold coming on. I can feel a sore throat now. I'll pop a few cold & flu tablets and hopefully that'll prevent any disruption.

The depressing thing is that it's only going to get colder heading towards the City to Surf. Those of you who know how I whinged about the winter in UK will realise I hate the cold. Even though we're unlikely to dip below 5 deg C in the early morning - that's bad enough! Lucky I bought the Helly Hanson shirts!!

I've been planning the DIY activities due to be tackled over the next few days.

The concrete slab at my father-in-laws place is a bit of a challenge as I've never done it before. But I'm hoping the thought I'm putting into it up front will pay off. I just hope we have time to prepare the area as my f-in-law wants to finish it this weekend.

I need to check his measurements to ensure we get enough material. He's also talking about digging out an old (I hope) earthenware pipe before we concrete - which is probably the right way to go, but it may mean we need to cover that area with sand so that the broken fragments of pipe don't pierce the Damp Proof sheet.

Then after we lay the sheet we'll have to set in some formwork to break the job in two and as guides to get the slab level.

Shirley's family think I'm fussy, whereas I think they charge into a job without any thought and bungle on through any problems they come across.

This is the reason why I'll be doing whatever jobs I can at my place on my own.

Time for lunch.

No comments: