Monday, January 29, 2007

10.2km LSD... Skip 2 Hit 1...

I missed a run on Friday - well it was a Public Holiday and I figured I've been doing well enough lately to earn a day off.

So Sunday came around and I was determined to get in that much-awaited longer run.

I agreed with my Imaginary Friend to set out for a 1 hour run at 6:20/km pace. So at about 9.5 km, that would have been my longest run since City to Surf back in August! I also planned to round that up and go for 10km.

I knew there were a few challenging undulations (I could hardly call them hills!) along the route so I was conscious of keeping a steady pace for the first few Ks.

The first 3 Ks were knocked off at 5:35, 5:48 and 5:42/km pace, so I already had doubts about being able to achieve the target. I really do struggle to comfortably run slowly. But then I slowed it down to closer to the target pace and got into a nice rhythm.

It was getting a bit hot towards the end so that created another challenge, but I'd taken some water with me so I didn't feel too uncomfortable.

I ended up with 10.2km in 1:01:16 at 6:00/km pace. So that's classed as "Easy" run pace for me. I really do need to work on maintaining a steady pace for the whole run.

We had the neighbours over for dinner last night so a few beers forced a sleep in this morning and another missed run. I probably needed the rest because yesterday's run was a bit harder than it should have been!

I might try and get an extra run in tomorrow as well as my usual Wednesday and Friday sessions because we're heading away for a boozy weekend next Saturday!

1 comment:

Gronk said...

Nice run mate. Nice pace too !