Saturday, January 13, 2007

6.18km Easy... Playing Away from Home...

I'm trying to run on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays with a longer run on Sundays too. This week I had a potential disruption to the Friday session by being up on the Gold Coast for work.

I took my gear up on the off chance that I would go for a run. Then I continued the good preparation by having an early night on Thursday (I was shattered anyway... an early start from Sydney in the morning and a busy day). And I set my alarm for 5am.

The alarm went off and I did have a brief thought to hit snooze and go back to sleep, but I fought that thought and rolled out of bed.

I didn't break any records on my 6+km run in about 35 minutes. But it certainly was a big achievement not to let a small disruption put me off my training plan.

A totally flat route as I a ran along through Broadbeach. I'd planned on about 40 minutes, so I turned around to head back at a convenient spot after about 17 minutes. I could see the hotel in the distance after a while but it looked way further than I thought I could manage. I ended up one block short and hence didn't quite get to 40 minutes.

I stood under a cold shower for about 15 minutes so that I wouldn't be sweating too much in the company of colleagues. I did feel a bit guilty using all that water given the serious restrictions they have up there, but the reason I was there was to assist in the building of their Desalination Plant, so I felt I was doing my bit in return!

A useful session though, both mentally and physically.

No comments: