Friday, April 15, 2005

The Empire Strikes Back...

That's the new Asics Gel Empire!

Who would have guessed that buying a pair of shoes could be so technical?

Normally, I'll walk into the shop have a look at what's on display, generally steer toward Adidas or Reebok - Nike are too wide for my feet, pick up the most expensive pair, realise it's a ridiculous amount of money and finally go for a shoe that looks OK and is within my price range. Ask for a UK size 10, try it on, pay, walk out. Happy!

These days you get bombarded with questions; how far do you run per week, what surface do you run on, do you have any pain in your feet, ankles, knees or back when you run, what kind of shoes do you run in now?

Then they measure your feet. Now I haven't had my feet measured for as long as I can remember. I am a UK size 10, plain and simple. However, each foot is measured for length and width (apparently my feet are unusually even) and the figures scribbled on a bit of paper.

Then it's onto "The Gadget". A pressure pad linked to a display which shows the pressure points created by your feet. First you stand on it - and up pops a picture showing a colourful representation of weight distribution and pressure points. The "Podiatry Technician" explains what it all means - I have fairly high arches! Then you walk over it, one foot at a time and the picture changes to an animated display of both feet side-by-side showing the pressure flow through your feet - apparently I "Turn In"!

Then they ask whether you have any brand preference (I don't) or whether you just want a pair that fit (I do).

There seems to be one fundamental question missing... "How much are you willing to spend?"

But they press on and bring out a selection of shoes to suit my requirements.

I swap and change and walk about with a variety of shoes - and finally identify one pair that feel great and look OK too (still can't ignore looks despite all the technical issues). I ask the price... woooh, a bit over budget. So I point out a similar looking shoe from the same brand which is more within my price range, but it doesn't feel anywhere close to as comfortable as the first choice.

So I get permission from the boss and we decide on the above mentioned "Asics Gel Empire": Size US 13(!!) equivalent to a UK 12 I think. Despite the size being different to my usual choice - it feels like a perfect fit. Not too tight, not too loose, and enough room at the toe end.

Then there's socks.

I've been using some old socks that have seen better days. They've lost their elasticity; so flop around my ankles, they're a bit grubby and a bit worn.

Enter the new Thorlo Level 3 Running Sock. $30 a pop, but they supposedly last for years. So I got 2 pairs.

Anyway, this morning was the first try out of the new footwear combination.

Oh by-the-way, I have to confess that I missed a session yesterday. I may have to rethink my schedule in future because a Thursday morning run after a Wednesday evening squash session doesn't make good sense. I usually wake up with a few aches through my legs. Also, I had to go to site yesterday, which meant an earlier rise anyway - so I gave the run a miss. Perhaps when I introduce the Sunday run (this weekend???) that'll be the replacement for what was the Thursday morning session.

Anyway, back to this morning. I suspect a combination of many factors (new shoes and socks are bound to feel more springy and comfortable and have a psychological effect too, plus 3 days rest since my last run would make a difference as well) contributed to the result of the run. I did the full 5km in about 23 minutes (I think - although I didn't pay close attention to the clock). For the first time since I started the running, I felt smooth (mostly) and my feet felt much more stable (rather than feeling on the verge of going over on my ankle every time I hit an uneven surface). So I knew that I had to try for the 5km. The last 200m still felt like it was going to kill me, but at least I was able to carry on walking straight after, rather than being doubled over sucking in air like last time.

So I feel like I've turned the corner. I'll try and put in the full 5km during the 3 (Mon, Tue, Fri) weekday sessions from now on and introduce the longer run on Sundays too.

Having said that, we have a wedding to go to this Saturday, so depending on whether I can get Shirl to drive back, I may be able to sneak in a few beers and it'll then be unlikely for me to do anything too physical on Sunday!!!

No comments: