Thursday, April 07, 2005

First 5km, No Walking...

Whilst I'm pleased to have reached this small milestone, I realise how far I have to go (literally) to complete almost 3 times this distance in 4 months time.

We had a good hard game of squash last night, so I didn't want to push too hard on this morning's run. The ankles were feeling a bit tender anyway. So I started nice and slow and by about 3km I was thinking that perhaps I should keep that pace and see if I could complete the full 5km.

Previously the last 500m or so, which is slightly uphill, has proved to be too much. So when I turned the corner into that last stretch I just tried to keep going and not think of where the end was. Normally I get to the first or second cross and just give up, but this morning I was still running as I reached the last stretch... and kept going until the end. Success!!

I tried to just keep walking to cool down but all I could do was stand with my hands resting on my knees, trying to suck in some air. That was tough!

So I do believe I'm allowed a new pair of shoes!

Other news... I had a quick run around and did a bit on the Cubby House before squash. Fitted the side window latches and stained the door knobs / jamb. I also cleared away all my tools, scraps of timber, screws, nails, bolts and bits & bobs, and I cleaned the pool.

Still got to fix the slide, steps and lay the bark chippings. I think the kitchen unit can wait until after Lian's birthday!

I'm still sweating, an hour and a half after finishing the run. I hope I won't move too far from my desk today. I feel sore!

Until tomorrow...

No comments: