Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Just Another 4.8km...

Now I can concentrate on the original reason for Parkesism. The running training and my intention to run the City to Surf in under 75 minutes.

There is now no doubt in my mind that I will stick to the training schedule. However, I do have my doubts about achieving the target.

It doesn't concern me too much about the crowds on the day affecting my time. I reckon if I can get into the 2nd start group (i.e. avoid the strollers and fancy dress brigade) then I'm more likely to hold people up than the other way round.

What concerns me is that progress seems to be very slow, almost at a standstill. I'm still plodding along, I'm still struggling to complete the 5km route, there is no "runner's high" or smoothness in my running.

I suppose if I compare my ability today to when I first started (Monday 21st February) then of course there has been some progress, but similarly if I compare today to where I was a month ago - there is very little difference.

Perhaps I'm being impatient (it has been known), perhaps the new shoes will make a difference, perhaps it's because I'm running on an empty tank (I don't eat anything before I run), perhaps it's psychological. Who knows?

But what I do know is that I am determined to stick at it and the habit has now formed (a huge achievement in itself in my book).

No run tomorrow - squash instead.

Any words of encouragement or advice greatly appreciated!

No comments: