Friday, March 11, 2005

4km of Distraction...

Still on programme... another 4+ km this morning, all running - in about 25 minutes and I experienced another advantage that I'm getting from the running...

It took my mind off this bloody cubby house project! It's proving to be a bit of a nightmare getting going. The instructions and materials don't appear to make the structure particularly strong. A few added corner braces for the walls will sort that bit out but it's the elevation kit (we're building it raised 500mm off the floor) that's proving to be much more difficult!

There are no instructions at all for this part and the suggestion we have from various emails is that it just sits on the ground. Well, I'm sorry but that's just not good enough!

We're contemplating fixing galvanised steel stirrups to the bottom of the posts and concreting the stirrup rod into the ground. The posts are treated for insect and water resistance but this way we'll be able to keep the post completely out of the ground and away from standing moisture whilst still anchoring the thing!

So that's the posts, but then there's the bearers. All we've been sent are bolts for front to back bearers to go across the top of the posts. Nothing to fix the bearers across the structure! So I think a visit to the Ye Olde Hardware Shoppe to purchase the stirrups, some more bolts, some joist hangers and galvanised nails. Oooh, and a spade bit for my drill to put the bolt holes through the wood. Don't you just love power tools!!!?

That should just about sort us out. Nothing, including Tropical Cyclone Ingrid's brothers and sisters,will shift this bloody thing when it's done! I hope we never have to move house!

I think I may have pushed a bit too hard on the run because I experienced a side-stitch half way round this morning. No lasting damage, so after a weekend of cubby house building, I'll be back on the training programme next week.

Hope you all have a good weekend!

No comments: