Thursday, March 17, 2005

Rain Stopped Play...

The first test of my commitment to the training programme occurred this morning.

It was raining last night when we went to bed and I was feeling a bit of a twinge in the back of my right knee. So it certainly crossed my mind that I may not make it out for the run this morning.

So when the alarm went off at 6.45am, I listened for the tell-tale pitter-patter on the roof. Yes, it was there - but hardly a downpour. So I gingerly got out of bed and felt the knee. Yes, there was still a slight twinge - but I thought it'd subside when I got moving. So I got ready, picked out some rain mood music for the MD player (The Smiths) and went outside.

Walking up the hill, I was happy to realise that the rain wasn't that bad and the knee didn't feel too sore. So away I went.

Starting slowly, I was feeling OK. I remembered my plan to try for the full 5km today. So I managed to hold the pace where I normally get carried away. It got to the stage where my breathing was fine, my rhythm was easy and it felt like I could run all day (well I was going downhill at the time)!

But then, the last 500m or so is on a bit of a rise. It's also a very uneven surface, lots of kerbs to watch out for. So very tiring.

But I did it! I finished the whole 5km, in the drizzly rain, in about 27 minutes. Slow, I know, but as Confucius said: "The Longest Journey Starts with a Small Step".

So, despite you jumping to conclusions, the "Play" that "Rain Stopped" was actually my toying with my post hole spade last night. I managed to dig three of the six holes, before the rain started, the light dimmed and my belly started to rumble. So inside for a bit of tea with the girls. Then back downstairs to start cladding the walls.

All in all, a good day.

Oh, did I mention Shirl pranged the car, again!? Exactly the same damage as last time. That event was hitting a high curb going up a carpark ramp. We just got he car back 2 weeks ago! This time, she hit a bollard next to a petrol pump!

Oh, and today's the day that I return to the dentist for those fillings!

No comments: